Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Final Blog Post (until next time)

I'm home!! Not real home, but I'm in the states and I will officially be home next week! The reverse-culture shock was super real at O'Hare, like fat children and brightly colored hair, but being able to speak English and to order exactly what I want (a cheeseburger with ketchup and pickle only, please) is very surreal. Also, the jetlag is incredible. I was ready to pass out last night at 7 o'clock. Granted, I hadn't slept much the night before, but even so. I woke up at 6 am this morning, also thanks to jetlag but hopefully by tomorrow everything will be better!

So far, I do miss France's familiarity. I, of course, adjusted quickly to being back here but not saying "merci" any time I go anywhere is super weird and being able to order food in English is just incredible to me. At the airport yesterday, we stopped at Rick Bayless' airport restaurant/food place and I wanted to order a "tres queso mollete" but it came out more like "très quesot molleter" and I said it with a french accent and it was really difficult. If I try to speak any other language, I say it with a French accent right now.

I also miss how people are quiet on public transportation. There's this respectful silence at all times and whenever anyone starts talking on the phone, it's almost seen as rude. Americans however have no issues with being loud on public transportation, which is something we share in common with the Italians.

Finally, I miss the people I spent the five weeks of the program with, French and American students alike. I feel like I made some really good friends through the program in Le Mans and I am so grateful that I got to be apart of it.

If nothing else, the program taught me how vast history is. Before the trip, I thought the Vietnam War in the '60s was ancient history. But after learning about France's history and how it starts in the 1100's (I think?), there's so much more to history than what I was taught in my American history class. No offense to Ron Swanson, but history did not in fact start in 1776. I feel like I actually have a more global perspective of the world and I was pleasantly surprised to learn more than just French or American history.

I definitely miss France right now, but it's so great to be back with friends and family in the states. I know it won't be too long before I return!

No comments:

Post a Comment