Saturday, July 4, 2015

Le Mans likes their 24-Hour events I guess

Today was the end of what began at 2 pm yesterday. Opening with a musical performance, the 24-Hours of History, leading up to America's Independence Day, began! After the introduction and music, we went on a history-themed scavenger hunt all around campus. There were French and American students on each team so it was helpful because the French students knew campus much better than us! The only problem with the scavenger hunt was that it was two million degrees outside (but actually, at least 97. And the running around campus did not help). We then took a break and learned about different speeches in American history before the Renaissance dancing!! People came dressed in Renaissance garb, played Renaissance music on Renaissance instruments, and others taught us Renaissance dances. Most of the dances were in one big circle moving back and forth. It was so much fun. But also, it was so sweaty. In addition to skipping in circles, the room we were in was also so hot. It felt as how I'd imaging hot yoga would feel. After dancing, there was a sampling of drinks through the ages, which unfortunately I left early from because I was dehydrated (I think) and had a killer headache. I was asleep around 11.

While I was asleep, they sang America's national anthem at midnight with champagne, watched clips from patriotic American movies, learned about a contemporary art movement in France (it involved covering naked bodies in paint and then pressing them against canvas), going on a run (at 6 am after no sleep!!!), and then playing more games outside. By then, it was 9 am and that's when I came back.

When I got back, I got to participate in a Franco-American quiz about crossovers in music and famous people. To finish out the whole event however, five people in the Université d'été got up and read a poem about liberty from their country (Korea, Yemen, Poland, China, and Spain). It was incredibly touching to have the poems read in their native languages with the translations right next to them in either English or French. It was a very powerful way to end the 24-hour event and it made me so grateful for all the opportunities and privilege I've received in my life, just because I was born in America. Very proud to be American today.

So then tonight, a group of French and American students went over to a French students' house and her family hosted us to celebrate her birthday/the Fourth! It was such a melange of cultures - we had burgers and sausages but also vin petillant, rillette, and multiple tarts. This past month has been an absolute blast and I'm very sad that I'll be leaving in just three days!

3 comments:

  1. ...and I'll be sorry to not be able to read any more about this part of your travels.
    But in three days, you'll have family there to begin a whole new chapter in your time in France. Anxiously await new posts on the rest of your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Papa Matt! I have thoroughly enjoyed this time with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have thoroughly enjoyed reading about your experiences. You are a very blessed woman getting all these opportunities and making the best of them. Enjoy your time with family and safe travels back to USA.

    ReplyDelete