Sunday, July 12, 2015

I can never be French because I never finish all the food on my plate

Brunch!!! We ate at La Recyclerie which was overwhelming and confusing and delicious. So I asked the woman at the counter what we were supposed to do, nodded and pretended I understood as she explained it to me, and then she explained it to us in English. So we got this giant metal lunch tray (I felt like I was back in middle school going through the lunch line <3) and then went through multiple lines with cold and hot food. What I didn't realize is that I could pick and choose what I wanted so I took one of everything and ate about half of my tray. There was coffee and juice and water to drink, plus potatoes, chicken, lox, roast beef, salad (definitely didn't eat that), quinoa (I think?), yogurt (delicious with jam and granola), bread, butter, jam, fruit crumble, something with a fully cooked egg and tomato sauce, gazpacho, and a mango puree. There was probably more but that's all I can remember right now and wow it was great.

With all the energy we gained from the ginormous brunch, we headed to the largest flea market in Paris, and possibly the world. They had records and world maps from the 1800s and super expensive antique furniture, chandeliers, light fixtures and a million other things we didn't even get to see. It was incredible. After looking and not even being able to afford much, we walked to the Montmartre cemetery where we visited Alexandre Dumas, fils and Edgar Degas' graves/tombs. They were huge and the cemetary was packed and showy, but it was very cool to see all of it. I found a couple graves that I would be ok having for myself. One had headshots of the deceased, the other was a mini building encrusted in gold. Some combination of the two might be best for me. Just ideas.

For a quick drink and snack, I drank what is probably my final bottle of cidre in France and the cafe from Amélie. Everyone in my family has seen this movie expect me so I didn't find it that special, but the cidre was excellent of course. We then continued walking through our neighborhood with a walking tour from one of Mom's books, which took us past the apartment where my bf Vincent Van Gogh lived for the final two years of his life with his brother. Theo, his brother, committed suicide two months after his brother did, according to what the book said. What a relationship they must've had.

To finish off the evening, we did some shopping and ate baguette, croissants, and champagne for dinner, and finished with macaroons for dessert. Pretty much my ideal meal. Currently I am procrastinating on packing because it's the woooooooorst (say that like Jean Ralphio from Parks). But the plane is leaving tomorrow morning so after one last boulangerie run, I'm out of here which is infinitely sad! I'll probably blog tomorrow just to talk about the flight and how awesome/terrible it was but if not, this could be my last blog post! I'm not ready to reflect on blogging tonight, so future,  jetlagged Maddie can deal with that tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I will miss my daily reads. :o(

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have done a fantastic job of recording your activities and mad it very entertaining. See you tomorrow evening!

    ReplyDelete