Monday, June 22, 2015

Versailles (kinda)

So I thought that I posted yesterday but I guess it didn't send or I completely imagined typing it up and that actually never happened..... But either way not much happened yesterday! We went shopping in Milan before catching our flight back to Paris. When we got to the Paris Hyatt to check-in, the woman behind the counter told us we were "clients du jour" which meant that our room was upgraded to have a view of the Eiffel Tower! At the top of every hour after dark, the Eiffel Tower sparkles for 5 minutes, so we got to watch that multiple times which was awesome.

This morning, we ran around the train station in Paris trying to find this specific kind of ticket to get a train to Versailles. Eventually, we did arrive at the palace but we were 10 minutes late so we missed our private tour of the interior. For the next two hours, Esther and I searched desperately for wifi to try to contact anyone in the group inside the palace to try to find them. After about an hour, we decided to just walk around and look at the gardens until the rest of the group showed up. After another hour, they did show up so we were able to get lunch with and walk around the gardens with them.

The gardens look like something straight out of Pride & Prejudice, so when I got back to the dorm, I made myself a sandwich for dinner and watched the ultimate romantic movie of all time (the Keira Knightly version, of course). It was nice to just have the evening to relax and rest before this upcoming week and then Bordeaux this weekend! Additionally, I finished the book "The Hundred Foot Journey" on the multiple plane/train rides this weekend and I highly recommend it! It's about this Indian immigrant who starts his own restaurant in France and his family and mentors and it's a wonderful, easy read. He also uses a lot of similes with food, so I don't recommend reading it while hungry but I have been craving Indian food since I started the book. Definitely worth the read!

3 comments:

  1. Shame you missed the inside tour. Did you tour it in your prior visit to France?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I visited it when I was in France a couple years ago so it wasn't too big of a deal that I missed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were in Paris Sunday night through Thursday morning - how weird would it have been if we had run into each other?? Enjoy the rest of your time in France and lunch is a must after you get home! Bisous!

    ReplyDelete